+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 58 First ... 8485455565758
Results 1,426 to 1,448 of 1448
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,328

    Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CIW: Web Foundations; MCTS: Active Directory; MCP: 2000 Professional; CNA: NetWare 5; CompTIA A+
    #1426
    Quote Originally Posted by GDaines View Post
    Damn, you really need to sell something! And here was me wondering if adding two more switches to give me five each switches and routers was a bit much.
    I've accumulated way too much equipment over time. I'm hoping to sell off most everything except about 4-6 routers, 6 switches, 2 Servers, 4 Firewalls, and 6 Wireless APs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS
  3. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,687

    Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, Security+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT, CCNA.
    #1427
    Bump! Anyone else got any good/updated pictures of their lab? Unfortunately I had to sell mine a while back.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    910

    Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCDA, CCNA: Security, CCNA: R&S, MTA: Networking Fundamentals, Security+, Network+, Linux+, A+, Project+
    #1428
    So, I have a lab at work. It's beyond excessive. I've used it for the CCNP and on-going CCIE, but I use it often to lab out real-world scenarios for work before we do things/change things (QoS, DMVPN, BFD, just to name a few).

    I don't even know what's all here at this point. Top router is a terminal server, which is great. All in all there's like 5 3945s, 2 3650s, 5 3560s (1 is just a lab gateway), 3 2811s, and a 3750. A phone, and a computer. I have firewalls I could add in (and probably will at some point).

    https://s24.postimg.org/5yollpuk5/IM...220_163929.jpg
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member Netwurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,156

    Certifications
    CCNA, Network+, A+ (CCNP Progress: 1/3)
    #1429
    Here's part of my lab

    IMG_0035.jpg
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    39

    Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA R&S
    #1430
    Last edited by wseyller; 03-27-2017 at 04:14 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member dontstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ::1/128
    Posts
    559

    Certifications
    CompTIA IT Fundamentals, CCENT, CCNA:R&S, JNCIA, BInfoTech
    #1431


    On wheels and fully mobile. When I'm labbing I can put it outside of my room so I can maintain silence
    Last edited by dontstop; 04-14-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    6

    Certifications
    None :(
    #1432
    I can barely configure the switches............still studying

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,687

    Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, Security+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT, CCNA.
    #1433
    I wish I didn't sell my rack a few years ago! Getting back into the CCNP studies and have some switches coming my way. Does anyone know of where I can get a decently priced network (wall mount) rack from? I'm looking for 12u or 16u.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    11
    #1434

    Default Packet Tracer

    F.Y.I,

    Packet Tracer is free and allows for more complex topologies. in addition it supports switches, routers, firewalls and wireless.

    IOS upgrades are available as well.

    What is Cisco Packet Tracer?

    Packet Tracer is a network simulator available from Cisco that provides a virtual lab environment for CCNA candidates. The network simulator enables the candidate to configure, verify and troubleshoot network designs based on Cisco devices. Packet Tracer simulates the same IOS software and configuration as the physical devices. All lab guides include Packet Tracer ready labs to configure, verify and troubleshoot.

    Download Packet Tracer

    Cisco now provides a link to download Packet Tracer that is available with the free one hour course on Packet Tracer fundamentals. The free course is available at the following link.

    https://www.netacad.com/campaign/ptdt-1/
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Member Neil86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    65
    #1435
    I thought I'd bump this, I enjoy seeing labs:

    6 routers (3x-2610xm, 3x-1841), 6 switches (2x-2960, 2x-2950, 2x-3560), 1141 WAP, ASA 5505

    Mobile rack with 10-port rackable PDU. All craigslist finds, I think I'm under $500 total. The 1841's are the most recent, and actually running on IOS 15. I need more wic-2t's.





    Hoping to see what others have too!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    13

    Certifications
    CCNA Voice, Security & Cyber Ops, CCNP R/S, Wireshark Network Analysis (WCNA)
    #1436
    3x-Routers(Cisco 2811’s)
    6x-Switches (2x-2950, 2x-3550POE, 1x-3560, 1x-3750)
    1x-ASA 5505
    3x-Cisco 7960 IP phones
    1x-Cisco 186 ATA
    1x-MikroTik RB952U

    Movable Rack with 2x-APC AP9211 AP9606 (8-ports).

    The devices are connected to a Mac Mini (not pictured) with 2x-GearMo Quad Port FTDI USB to Serial Cable adapters.




    IMG_1802.jpg
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    28
    #1437
    Damn these are some impressive sets of equipment.

    Any recs for a basic setup for a beginner? I just need 2 switches and 2 routers right? And they can be stacked. I was thinking of initially looking for each individual device on something like Craiglist, something old and cheap, but I feel like that would both take too long and be risky. I'm tempted to just get one of those ready made setups off of eBay or Amazon. Although I get that I'm losing out on a bit of experience in actively hunting down for my own equipment.

    Another big problem: I currently live in a very small studio apartment not much bigger than a dorm, which is already overcrowded with a bunch of stuff and a lot of other electronic equipment. I have quite limited space and I have numerous power strips/surge protectors that are all full of things (unrelated to networking), including four computers. In this confined space I feel like all this equipment is generating some excess heat, as it is always ridiculously hot even without any heating on, and even if it's cold outside. Buying all these routing devices I think will only add to that problem. But my lease ain't up for another four months. I do want to actually graduate from sims to working with real equipment now that I got my cert.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    13

    Certifications
    CCNA Voice, Security & Cyber Ops, CCNP R/S, Wireshark Network Analysis (WCNA)
    #1438
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude7 View Post
    Damn these are some impressive sets of equipment.

    Any recs for a basic setup for a beginner? I just need 2 switches and 2 routers right? And they can be stacked. I was thinking of initially looking for each individual device on something like Craiglist, something old and cheap, but I feel like that would both take too long and be risky. I'm tempted to just get one of those ready made setups off of eBay or Amazon. Although I get that I'm losing out on a bit of experience in actively hunting down for my own equipment.
    I started with a kit off eBay, that's where my 2811's came from and the 2950's which dates me.

    My equipment definitely when on, creates some heat, as well as eats up some kWh's and my 3750 is LOUD.

    My suggestion to you is figure out what you want to do with it, meaning, if you want to play around with voice, you need POE switches, FXO, FXS cards, PVDMs for the routers and phones. Do you want to work with security, then you need an ASA, think through the licensing. In my purchases, I made tons of errors and had (hmmm..didn't realize that moments) but it's about the learning.

    You indicated that you have your certs, so do you really just want to ensure you know how to talk a someone through how to swap out a device or remove memory, then you just need to keep it simple and get a 2x-2811 routers (max out the memory), 2x-3560 switches. As your needs, desire and knowledge increase, you can expand. I'm struggling to recall what I can't do with my current setup which is the reason for my recommendation.

    Since you are buying multiple devices, consider how you're going to interact with them. The two options I'm familiar with are a terminal server (a dedicate router), or USB to Serial Cable adapters connected to a computer. I went with the USB to Serial route and have a computer, a Mac in my case, which allows for some additional possibilities. I can remote into the Mac connected to my rack, power on or off individual devices and basically do whatever remotely. The theoretically, I can integrate my physical gear and GNS3 but I never dug into that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    28
    #1439
    Quote Originally Posted by diffie View Post
    I started with a kit off eBay, that's where my 2811's came from and the 2950's which dates me.

    My equipment definitely when on, creates some heat, as well as eats up some kWh's and my 3750 is LOUD.

    My suggestion to you is figure out what you want to do with it, meaning, if you want to play around with voice, you need POE switches, FXO, FXS cards, PVDMs for the routers and phones. Do you want to work with security, then you need an ASA, think through the licensing. In my purchases, I made tons of errors and had (hmmm..didn't realize that moments) but it's about the learning.

    You indicated that you have your certs, so do you really just want to ensure you know how to talk a someone through how to swap out a device or remove memory, then you just need to keep it simple and get a 2x-2811 routers (max out the memory), 2x-3560 switches. As your needs, desire and knowledge increase, you can expand. I'm struggling to recall what I can't do with my current setup which is the reason for my recommendation.

    Since you are buying multiple devices, consider how you're going to interact with them. The two options I'm familiar with are a terminal server (a dedicate router), or USB to Serial Cable adapters connected to a computer. I went with the USB to Serial route and have a computer, a Mac in my case, which allows for some additional possibilities. I can remote into the Mac connected to my rack, power on or off individual devices and basically do whatever remotely. The theoretically, I can integrate my physical gear and GNS3 but I never dug into that.
    Cool thanks. I actually got some older equipment: two routers (2611 and 2821) and two switches (2960 and 3560) off the instructors for my course, since they had several extra ones that they weren't using. I think that should be enough for a starter home setup. They didn't have the cabling for it though, so I'll have to get that myself. Will also need to install the Putty program I believe.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    13

    Certifications
    CCNA Voice, Security & Cyber Ops, CCNP R/S, Wireshark Network Analysis (WCNA)
    #1440
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude7 View Post
    Cool thanks. I actually got some older equipment: two routers (2611 and 2821) and two switches (2960 and 3560) off the instructors for my course, since they had several extra ones that they weren't using. I think that should be enough for a starter home setup. They didn't have the cabling for it though, so I'll have to get that myself. Will also need to install the Putty program I believe.
    Those components are definitely enough for a starter setup.

    If this helps, I bought console cables off Amazon for $1/each with free shipping about 8 months ago. Computer power cables work. Thrift stores sell these for pennies.

    Yep..Putty it is free and what I use when on a PC.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    28
    #1441
    Quote Originally Posted by diffie View Post
    Those components are definitely enough for a starter setup.

    If this helps, I bought console cables off Amazon for $1/each with free shipping about 8 months ago. Computer power cables work. Thrift stores sell these for pennies.

    Yep..Putty it is free and what I use when on a PC.
    One of the routers has a WIC T1 Serial module installed (the one requiring a 60 pin, 15x4, cable). I understand this is used for WAN connections. Is there a way you can simulate a "WAN" in your own home lab using two routers with this kind of interface installed, and the right kind of serial cable connecting them? Or would that not work and should I just use say a straight-through Cat 5 or 6 Ethernet patch cable (RJ-45) for connecting the two routers?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Member awitt11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    49

    Certifications
    ITIL v3, CCENT
    #1442
    If you have another router with a WIC T1 Serial, you can get a crossover serial. However, may make sense to get some WIC 1T or 2T. Do some research on interface cards. Cisco uses a fairly standard naming convention. Lots of info to digest but important for making things work. If you use patch cable, you will need to make a T1-crossover.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Member mr.comfortably's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    82

    Certifications
    ITIL, A+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA
    #1443
    I regret that I never made a physical lab in my studies, I always worked through GNS3 or PT. When I hit the field I was shocked when I had to do the physical layer crap too. I'm now a pro at it though ;p Cool labs, love it. Keep workin' we're all reaching for the top!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member alan2308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    1,839

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA Sec, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CISSP
    #1444
    ^^^^ That's why when asked, I still recommend picking up a couple of pieces of physical gear if possible if you've never touched a router before, even if you do plan to do your studying in GNS3 or PT. It doesn't even have to be good gear, just something you can actually get your hands on. The first time you spend an hour pouring over your configs only to realize you just had an Ethernet cable not pushed in all the way, you'll get it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    28
    #1445
    Since my two laptops don't have ports for direct Ethernet cable connections (RJ-45s), I assume I will need some kind of converter into a USB then? To connect them to these routers and serve as the "hosts" in my lab setups. Seem affordable on Amazon, just around $13.

    Also, can you simultaneously use the Console connection and an actual Ethernet connection on the same computer to a router/switch? And use the Console one just for management of the router/switch through a terminal program like Putty, while the Cat 5 Ethernet cable is used for the actual main connection?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    10

    Certifications
    None
    #1446
    I currently dont have any certs but persuing my CCENT.
    I got some old switches and routers from my current job.

    I have 2 routers
    1x Cisco 2600 series Router
    1x Cisco 2500 Series Router
    1x Cisco switch 3550
    Maybe getting another 3550 as well.

    Once I get through my todd lammle CCNA R&S study guide a bit more. I cant wait to get started with labs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    839

    Certifications
    CCNA:R&S, VCA6-DCV, Sec+
    #1447
    yes you certainly can run a console connection and an ethernet connection.

    but, if the piece of equipment is reloaded, the connection is lost. and you can not get back in until the system is up. you will only be able to see the system startup messages from the console.

    and also any ethernet connections that went through the piece of equipment that reloaded is also lost. and will need to be reconnected.

    easier to do the config from the console. then when everything is up and running to use the ethernet connections.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    10

    Certifications
    None
    #1448
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinjusn0w View Post
    I currently dont have any certs but persuing my CCENT.
    I got some old switches and routers from my current job.

    I have 2 routers
    1x Cisco 2600 series Router
    1x Cisco 2500 Series Router
    1x Cisco switch 3550
    Maybe getting another 3550 as well.

    Once I get through my todd lammle CCNA R&S study guide a bit more. I cant wait to get started with labs.

    Is this a good learning setup?

    also should I also use GNS3 and Packet Tracer as well or will the home lab be sufficient?

    Please ignore that last quick post. #1448 or delete it for me please

    Thank you
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 58 First ... 8485455565758

Social Networking & Bookmarks