+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Default Do you use full 120 mins for MS exams

Just wondering, I feel the allocated time for MS exams are a bit on extra side considering most of them are MCQs. Not complaining but wondering, do people actually use full 120 mins? How long did you take on average to finish your MS exams
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA:Windows 10, MCSA:Windows Server 2016, MCP, ITIL-F v3
    Since they increased the questions to 64 plus. I struggled both times to finish my exams, don't why they increased the questions without increasing the time given.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, i-Net+, Novell CNA 5.0, MCP 70-210, Server+, Security+, Cloud+
    I always try to use it all up & flag questions along the way. I like to re-read through the exam if time permits to make sure I did make the right choices. I tend to not change answers, unless I was absolutely unsure.
    2018 goals -> PenTest+ Beta (failed), Linux+ Beta (Oct), CEH (Dec)
    2019 goals -> Linux+ 103 (Jan), Linux+ 104 (Mar)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF Win10 (70-698)
    I usually finish with 30 mins to spare, and use that time to review all my flagged questions. I think 120 minutes is adequate.
    2018 Goal: 70-740
    2019 Goals: 70-741, 70-742 (MCSA: Windows Server 2016)

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA: Server 2012/2016, MCSE: CP&I
    I take as much time as I can. If I rush, I'm going to miss important information, but I have to keep an eye on the clock. I don't want to take too long.

I'm not one to go back much on my questions except to make sure I answered them all. I just don't trust my own self doubt enough to believe that reviewing my stuff isn't going to hurt me. This is a personal preference and I don't necessarily recommend it, it's just how I am.

When taking the exam I tend to read the answers once. Then I go and read the question and try to see which of the answers fits. I then read the question again and focus on trying to figure out what are they asking for. Then I go back to the answers and figure out which one fits best. Finally, I read the question one more time and check my answer.

There is a lot of stuff I take notes on and try to visualize when I take the test. I always as for as many dry erase sheets as they'll give me. Usually one ends up being a "I think I missed this one" sheet where I keep track of topics I was weak on in case I fail.
    2018 Goals: Security+
    2019 Goals: 70-744, CISSP
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member
    I guess when i got only 39 questions on my last 70-533 exam i though 120 mins for that was too long. I was done in an hour.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSD (Web), MCSA (SQL Server 2012/14/16), AWS Architect (Assoc.)
    I always stay for the full duration. I usually try to finish my "first-pass" through the exam with about 30 minutes to spare, but I always spend any extra time checking and re-checking. I'd feel angry with myself if I left early and then failed the exam by a small margin. I find multiple checking passes useful, because some questions fill in gaps in my knowledge needed to answer other questions. I was only tempted to leave early once, because I was so depressed about how badly I was doing, but I actually passed that exam by a healthy margin.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Productivity 2017, MCSA: Office 365, MCSA: Linux on Azure, LFCS
    I've used anything from 20 to 45 minutes on the exam, but I guess it kinda depends. I usually don't review stuff that I know for a fact I know because if I do I start second guessing and usually change my answer and fail the question.

I have problems with concentration so I usually try to get done before my mind wanders. Been working out so far.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012/2016, Windows 10, BTEC Level 2 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberth View Post
    I've used anything from 20 to 45 minutes on the exam, but I guess it kinda depends. I usually don't review stuff that I know for a fact I know because if I do I start second guessing and usually change my answer and fail the question.

I have problems with concentration so I usually try to get done before my mind wanders. Been working out so far.
    This is the same as me. If I start changing answers it puts me off and makes me think that I'm wrong with all answer. I always go with my gut feeling unless I am 110% sure the answer is wrong.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCSA Server 2106 MCSA Office 365 MCSE Mobility (70-398) 70-680
    I usually have around 30-45 minutes left, as already mentioned if I review my answers I start to second guessing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks