+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, MTA98-365, MCP, CCNA (2013-2016)

Default 70-741 failed first attempt

I bought a voucher for 3 attempts so I used the first one today. I have watched the CBT Nuggets videos but I did not read the book yet. I considered this a practice test so I was happy enough with a score was a 606. I plan to schedule another try at the beginning of next month.

Things I noticed.

I need to read up on the IPAM and Remote access. I have not used either of them so mostly guessed based on the questions. Also Powershell was not over emphasized at all on my version of the test. I know I was weak on the commands because I have not done most of the reading yet but it was not overwhelming at all.

Hopefully next month I can report a passing score!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF Win10 (70-698)
    Good luck man!
    Certification goals: 70-740, 70-741, 70-742, 70-744, VCP6.5-DCV, 70-697

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA:Windows 10, MCSA:Windows Server 2016, MCSE:Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCP, ITIL-F v3
    Good luck, this was the worst MS exam I had done, it's up there with 70-697. Some really crappy questions on that exam, took me 3 attempts to pass.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    I have booked my second attempt for Nov 19th. I feel pretty good about this date.

My goal is to read one chapter every three days.
    MCSA 70-741 Cert Guide by Micheal Schulz

I also doing the CBT Nuggets. I will try to watch two nuggets per day and do the corresponding labbing that they provide.

I think I will do one practice test a week for the 4 weeks leading up to the test. Typically the last week I do very little review and just lab the concepts as time allows.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hey Jon_Cisco What a name.

I just passed today first attempt. 700 was my score. I felt like it wasn't going to be my day. But it was. I studied CBT Nuggets to the end. I read the book slightly not fully. Practice tests from measureup. I felt it was a bit of guessing for me. Some questions felt easy but a lot were challenging. Long story short I believe its the luck of the draw.

It feels like a dream to me as I been studying MCSA for 2-3 years now. I was half way through the 2012 then moved to 2016.

Those IPAM questions I had revised a lot in the measure-up the explanations must of helped me.

Good luck with your attempt. Its a hard one for sure. I failed the 70-740 like 3 times. So I know what failure feels like. But my problem was learning how to study effectively.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA: Server 2012/2016, MCSE: CP&I
    When I've looked at IPAM I have found that blind repetition is the best system for it. Go over the process for installing over and over again and then do the same with the RBAC roles (don't forget the non-IPAM RBAC stuff for DHCP, they love that curveball). Lastly, know the powershell for IPAM.

Remote Access is similar. Rote memorization of the protocols, ports, etc. is going to help. If you can, lab it a couple of times start to finish. It helps. One thing I found confusing with my Remote Access stuff was Connection Request Rules vs Network Rules. Know the differences and when to use each one.

Good luck!
    2018 Goals: Security+
    2019 Goals: 70-744, CISSP
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF Win10 (70-698)
    You've booked it for my birthday I'll use my one wish for you to pass
    Certification goals: 70-740, 70-741, 70-742, 70-744, VCP6.5-DCV, 70-697

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    Well I am almost on schedule. I need to read about 15 pages tonight to finish chapter 3.

I took my first practice exam last night. I used the 1st exam bank from my Pearson test prep that comes with the cert guide.
    First score was 67%. I need to review it tonight but I am sure my good points were DNS and DHCP. Everything else I am still weak in.

I plan to take one practice test a week. First using the questions provided by pearsons and then the ones from CBT Nuggets. Hopefully while the questions will be similar I will be able to avoid repeat questions by using the two different resources.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks